1 Timothy 2: 1-7 urges us to pray for all people to be able to ‘live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness’. However you see the current political and social situation of this country, it is our calling to pray in this way, and, as the following verses relate, ‘this is good, and pleases God our saviour, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth’.
It is the absolute commitment and joy of all involved at SSW, no matter what we think about our earthly struggles against flesh and blood, to enter into battles against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. An area all of us can engage in against the evil one is in our schools, as all of us will have at least some contact with a local one, be it through a relative attending one as pupil or staff, or simply having people involved in education in our own fellowship.
SSW continues to meet with thousands of children and young people across Sutton, presenting them with the truth of the Gospel, offering them opportunities to respond, supporting Christian young people in their own walk of faith at school, and looking to provide new areas of engagement so that those who have had absolutely no exposure to the love of our saviour can meet with Him. I have had the joy of speaking at more churches, presenting what we do, and asking for continued support which has been forthcoming immediately. Churches are supporting us in so many ways, and it is always a delight to engage with the faithful who so generously give of their time, money and prayer lives. Both Sarah (supported by her faithful team) and Kate (supported by Beca and additional youth leaders) have continued to deliver challenging, engaging and supportive assemblies, lessons and Christian unions across 40 primary and 7 secondary schools, and we have plans for even more!
As for the new ventures, we have begun to receive applications for our recently advertised role of Primary school assemblies leader, and are getting excited about having an injection of fresh energy into our team. Beca, from Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church, has fully integrated into our work, and the benefits of having another gifted co-worker in post are so obvious and tangible, with the relationships being developed at our growing Christian unions being strengthened and encouraged. Our series of workshops at Cheam High has come to a close, with an overwhelming sense of positivity from the school and children, and we have been contacted by another school asking if we can deliver the same sessions in their own establishment. The growing sense is one of growth, and we want to respond to what God is giving us with determination, professionalism, and vigour. As a result we are creating a brand new programme of workshops to cover all secondary school years, which we will shortly be launching.
I genuinely believe we are entering into a new phase of SSW, with exciting developments involving new workers, new contact opportunities, new growth, new projects, and new income streams. What is beyond doubt is that God has been moving within our schools, calling children and young people to Him, and I ask you once again to join us as we pray for His Spirit to flow through all we do, enabling, empowering and energising us, so that we can ‘tell the next generation about His glorious deeds’.
May I invite you to our next prayer meeting, at Carshalton Beeches Baptist Free Church on Monday 18th November at 11.30am? Gather with us as we ask Him once again to pour out His blessing, and see souls won for Himself.
And put the date of March 7th in your diaries; it will be the evening where we meet once again at venues across the borough to dispute who is the Big Church Quiz Night champion church! More details to come……
Finally, thank you! Your prayers are the drive we need, without them we would be thrashing around in the dark. You are just as much part of our team as anyone who stands in front of a group of children. Please carry on bringing your petitions to our Lord, the only one who can save!
1. St Dunstan’s After School Club We are looking to re-start our Christian afterschool club at St Dunstan’s from January so please pray that we can find people to help us to run that each week - we need to find these people before the end of this term.
2. Easter Experience Cast We have quite a few gaps in our Easter Experience casts that we really need to fill - please pray that an abundance of people come forward to join our casts for 2020.
3. Discover Christmas Discover Christmas is starting at the end of the month, please pray for the preparations for this from printing, to learning lines, to finding volunteers, to organising timings and logistics with schools. Please also pray for health of those taking part as it’s a pretty intense two weeks at a time when germs tend to be going around!
Secondary Prayer Requests
1. Christian Unions We praise God for the growth of a number of our Christian Unions, particularly at Overton Grange and Carshalton HIgh. We are getting high numbers in terms of attendance and holding really great conversations!
2. Lead up to Christmas Please pray for this term in the lead up to Christmas. We have lots of PSHE and RE lessons booked in, some of which we’ve never done before! So please pray these will go smoothly and the schools will see the clear Christian message.
3. Schools that we are not in Please continue to pray for the Schools we are not yet in.Particularly to find the appropriate contacts who are willing to hear about the work of SSW!